22.3.07

springtime with Machiavelli

Well friends, spring has finally sprung. How do I know this you may ask.....well I present to you the top ten ways to know that spring is here in New York City:
1. the return of Duffy
Duffy is this old guy who sits outside on a bench on the main boulevard in my neighbourhood. I saw him this morning and I haven't seen him since that nice weekend in January (the one when we had a 70 or 75 degree F day) and whom I haven't seen with regularity since probably November. He hibernates during the winter, I'm convinced
2. I am wearing a sweater
no but I mean, I'm not wearing a jacket, hat, scarf, mittens, and boots. I'm wearing a sweater and sneakers
This is a sure sign of spring (although I DO admit that I tend to underdress in an attempt to convince myself that the weather is nicer than it really is)
3. The sun is WARM
I can feel it through my clothes
4. I went to the garden today and shoots are UP!!!!!!!!!!
5. Yesterday was the vernal equinox (which only means that it promises to get warmer soon....maybe)
6. The light is incredible and golden not the steely light of winter
7. All the trees have buds (or reasonable fascimilies thereof)
8. Machiavelli is becoming clearer (don't ask how that relates to it being springtime, it was just something that made me happy)
9. All sorts of stupid people are out (again, not in and of itself a portent of spring, just observing)
10. I had an iced coffee today <----------a sure sign that the weather is warming and the sun is shining and life is generally okay

2 commenti:

maritza ha detto...

1. DUFFY! You must give him a hug next time you walk past him, just because he's so darn adorable.
2. Hooray for sweaters!
3. Ahhh, but can you feel it on your face a la Starbucks?
4. Happy tulips abound!
(fast forward to #10)
10. Yay for iced coffee! I went to Dunkin Donuts specifically to score one of their free iced coffees. It did not disappoint. :)

Anonimo ha detto...

W LA PRIMAVERA!!!