7.10.06

tasty tidbits

Snacks are a good thing; so are naps. Snacking and napping used to figure prominently in my life and they don't really anymore. I think that we (the world at large that is) should revert the world that contains a snack and a nap in the middle of the day immediately (that would mean now, ahem.....I SAID NOW). These are two things that I miss most about my childhood. The easy transition between consciousness and the semi-conscious dreamy state that immediately precedes a deep sleep, and sometimes can override it. Not to mention graham crackers and apple juice (that is a good snack) or apples and peanut butter (another good snack). Maybe I should write a recipe book for life. I'll call it "Why a Return to Snacks and Naps is Imminent" hhhhhmmmmmm that's not really a catchy title though, is it? I'll have to think on this for a bit...............
And in other news: Boccaccio is getting more and more daring in subject matter and writing style. He makes all these crazy sexual innuendos (that word can pluralize with or without an e) and the main characters are monks, nuns, abbots, and other ecclesiastical sorts; for the middle ages, this guy is really quite risque. He insinuates all kinds of crazy (and often inappropriate) activities in which these ecclesiastical types are engaging. Really quite surprising. I was under the impression, prior to having read any of the Decameron, that it was rather like Dante's Divine Comedy in the sense that the writing would be heavy to convey the severity of the subject matter; the opposite has however turned out to be the case! Boccaccio treats these matters of sin in a rather flippant, and at times comical way. The book is really enjoyable because of his word play (imagine though that I have to figure out this word play in a foreign language from the Middle Ages.....scary, isn't it?) Nevertheless, the puns come shining through (puns are like that though....all shiny and stuff)

3 commenti:

Colette ha detto...

Snacking and napping are two of my favorite things.

See I told you Boccaccio wasn't that bad.

Carolyn ha detto...

I'm totally on board with the snack-and-a-nap campaign; let me know when you start the petition drive!

;-)

sulu-design ha detto...

Yeah - I get seriously jealous of the pre-kindergarten teachers at my school. It seems that every time I walk into one of their classrooms, the kids are eating or sleeping. That's the life...