19.10.06

khaki dreams of greatness

Now I must preface by saying that I am not usually one to care a whit about fashion, new trends, being fashion-conscious (I'm barely conscious enough for the things that matter), or what's in and what's out. I'm your pretty basic type of girl: I wear what is comfortable on my body. I have my very own colour pallette (thanks for pointing that out to me, Maritza) which I suppose works with my skin tones and hair & eye colour (stop me if I'm saying anything that isn't true, PLEASE!!) and I also like to bear the season in mind. For instance, I don't usually wear shorts in the winter, nor wool sweaters in the summer. Nor am I judgemental of others' fashion choices (ok maybe a little, but please, you cannot leave your house wearing koolats, patterned stockings that end mid-calf, uggs, and an ill-fitting sweater all in completely uncoordinated colours and expect people not to laugh at you..........and I won't even mention the whole skirt over jeans phenomenon that has New York City in it's evil grip). I am also going to take this opportunity to voice my staunch opposition to leggings and big sweaters, (also leg warmers, big shirts, slouch socks, acid-wash jeans, banana clips worn "jauntily to the side", too-big belts) and pretty much anything that screams "I'm stuck in 1985 and I can't get out!!". Flashdance has its place in the annuls of cinematic history, but c'mon people, it's been twenty years now.....it's really high time we got over it, no? Read: While I am no fashion maven, I have my own unique, ecclectic, eccentric style which by the way includes refusing to pay a ridiculous sum of money for any article of clothing, no matter whose name is on it. It also includes not wearing things together that have no business being on the same body at the same time.
I also could care less about celebrities. These people make absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in my life whatever. I don't care who is pregnant, married, divorcing, a couple, how they are spending their money, what they had for breakfast, blah blah blah. I have enough of my own things to be concerned about, I can't worry about celebrities, now can I?
Now, all this being said, I am sad because I keep forgetting about Go Fug Yourself
, an artful guide to the do's and don'ts of celebrity fashions. Which is ABSOLUTELY HYSTERICAL!!!!!!!!!!! Heather and Jessica are brilliant in their commentary and writing style. Their sarcasm and wit are priceless. I can only aspire to such greatness in my assessments of others' fashion faux-pas. If you visit, please be sure to check out Ask Aunt Fugly. Thank you Heather and Jessica for making the fashion world a safer place for all of us.

3 commenti:

Colette ha detto...

You really need to make peace with the leggings thing - it's just not healthy

maritza ha detto...

HAHAHAHAHAH! For someone who doesn't give a poop about fashion, you sure have a lot to say about it. Remind me to turn on the tape recorder next time we're walking about together anywhere. You're hysterical!
Also, I love your particular color palette. We all have our own palettes, and I think yours suits you beautifully.

sulu-design ha detto...

Here, here! Screw celebrity "news"! Who the hell cares?!?