31.7.07

Spello

So as I blog on, I realize that I pretty much take pictures of all the same things in different cities......
there are however slight variations....for instance, I was running like a MADWOMAN to catch the train back to Perugia (in spite of the fact that a very scary bald man with an earring offered to drive me back and if not all the way to Perugia as he originally suggested, then at least to the train station......I politely declined in an attempt to avoid all the potentially horrendous endings that the situation could have....my being dead was the number one thing on that list of accidents to avoid).....so I didn't take a picture of the sign in the train station at Spello as I have done in almost every other city I've visited.....I'm weird like that....I start doing a random thing at some point along the way and then it becomes a sort of ritual....
but I digress (as I do in every post) on to the images!!
Spello is on a really steep hill....


But the security is tight.....the people in the middle ages were apprently very wary of unwanted intruders



unfortunately, the signage can sometimes be a little bit confusing...



the requisite church......this one is obviously not as decadent as some others that we've seen...



and what would a medieval town be without the delightful strade strette???


And then of course, like every town on top of a huge hill, Spello has some amazing panoramic views......there's a little park that's way up on top of the hill (in fact the whole city is built on a damn steep hill....didn't I tell you Foligno was the only flat city in all of Umbria??) and from this overlook a whole lot of land is visible:


oh wait, isn't that my house in the distance over there???!?!?



and no kidding, it really is that close to Perugia.....


Nessun commento: